A Senior’s Guide to Downsizing in Retirement
Larger homes have their benefits, especially if you’re doing a lot of entertaining or holiday hosting in retirement. However, there are just as many advantages to downsizing into a smaller home as you age—including fewer bills, chores, and daily responsibilities. And while downsizing isn’t the right move for all seniors, these tips and resources will help you to prepare for the process if you believe you’re ready to downsize your home in retirement.
Downsize Your Belongings
As tough as it is, one of the first steps to downsizing your home is donating, tossing, and decluttering your personal belongings. These tips will help you to let go of clutter and cope with the emotional challenges of doing so.
- Discover the benefits of decluttering and determine which items to keep or donate.
- Donate unwanted books, vehicles, clothing, electronics, appliances, and furniture.
- Make sure to manage any challenging emotions you experience when decluttering and downsizing.
List Your Home
Once you’ve decluttered your belongings, you’ll need to start getting your home ready to sell.
- First, learn how selling your home could affect your financial situation as a retiree.
- Make necessary home repairs and improvements.
Buy a New Home
From buying a senior-friendly home to planning a safe and hassle-free move, these resources are here to help you every step of the way.
- Learn everything there is to know about buying a home and applying for a mortgage.
- Think about the age-friendly features you’ll want or need in your new home.
- Prepare for the move into your new home.
- Learn how you can prevent falls in your new home.
- Install a pullout pantry and add slip-resistant flooring in your kitchen to make it senior friendly.
- Install an under cabinet range hood to vent grease and smoke from your kitchen.
Downsizing isn’t always easy, but it’s oftentimes the right decision for seniors looking to save money on housing expenses and cut back on home and yard maintenance as they age. Before they know it, seniors will be reaping the many benefits of downsizing and living their Golden Years to the fullest!
This article is brought to you by Motivation4Success.net. For more information, please visit our website today!
Disclaimer: This article provides some useful information and links on downizing your home in retirement. It does not provide any financial, business or health advice. If you need advice on managing your affairs in relation to moving or downsizing, please consult a relevant professional.